Financial planners who are members of the Garrett Planning Network are sometimes referred to as “Garrett Planners.” But, other than the obvious membership affiliation, what does that mean?
The short answer
Here is what every Garrett Planner has in common:
- Focus on actual planning rather than using planning as a hook to sell investments or financial products
- Obligation to provide advice in the best interest of their clients
- Commitment to making competent, objective financial advice accessible to people from all walks of life, without any minimums as to income, assets, net worth, length of engagement or revenues generated
The longer answer
Garrett Planners have all of the above in common plus many differences. There are too many differences to list here, but here are a few examples:
- All members provide Fee-Only financial planning and investment advice. In addition, some members also provide investment management services for many of their clients or, in some cases, just a few.
- All members provide accessible financial advice. The way members charge for that accessible financial advice varies. Some provide services by the hour, by the project, as a monthly subscription, via quarterly or annual retainer, in conjunction with tax or investment management services, or any combination of payment methods.
- Some offer financial planning to their tax preparation or tax representation clients. Others may offer tax preparation or tax representation services to their financial planning clients. Many do not provide any tax services at all.
- A few are also personal finance educators, authors, or journalists in addition to running their financial planning practices.
- Most simply focus their occupation solely on providing financial planning and investment advice for an hourly or fixed fee, and don’t manage investments, prepare taxes, teach, write, or work in any other capacity.
You might say that Garrett Planners come from all walks of life and are as unique as the clients they serve. And just like their clients, Garrett Planning Network members value competence, objectivity, and accessibility. That’s a Garrett Planner.
If you’re in the Richmond, Virginia area, please contact us…we can help.